Skip to main content

Teach: Importance of understanding things as a whole

We could take a piece of paper & cut it into a number of pieces. We might count the pieces - let's say there are twenty-four & say to the child,


Look, I cut up these papers by what I wrote here: 24 pieces of paper.

Now watch carefully. I take some pieces of paper away & make another little pile.


Then I make a 3rd and 4th pile. I have made 4 little piles from the 24 pieces of paper.

Now I will count the pieces.

The piece in the 1st pile I will call '9', those in second '5', those in third '7', and those in the fourth '3'.

You see, at first, I had only one pile of 24 pieces of paper.

Now I have four piles of nine, five, seven, and three pieces.

It is, all the same, paper.

If I gather it all together, I call it 'twenty-four'.

Now twenty-four pieces of paper are nine, five, seven, and three pieces together.


It's important to start with the whole and proceed to its parts!